Thursday, May 22, 2008

Babysitter

So I know at some point I know I will have to get a baby sitter for Brody it's inevitable. It's been a while since I have babysat and the majority of my experience was babysitting multiple children usually out of diapers in Washington where minimum wage was $7.25 an hour 6 years ago. I made usually between $10 and $20 an hour for 2 to 3 kids. I only have one kid, we live in Utah and my child wears diapers. So as you can see I have no experience with this. I need an idea of what to pay a babysitter. Can anyone help me out and give me an idea of what to pay. Also, if anyone has any recommendations of good sitters. I don't want to ridiculously over pay and I don't want to be the one that no one baby sits for more than once for because the pay is so crappy or the one the girls talk. I still remember that from my baby sitting years :)

9 comments:

Jenny said...

hmmm i'd say maybe $5-6/hour?? utahs cheap and if your baby's good, it should be an easy job i'd think.

Vanessa said...

good question! i don't know??? where do you guys live, by the way. (random.. we are looking at homes/condo/town homes to buy right now...)

Heidi Gail Richhart said...

My best advice would be pay what you can afford and just "Shop around". also though $5/$6 sounds or would sound good to me.

Unknown said...

I never could find a babysitter around there. I always pay about 4-5 depending. Sometimes if the girl is really young I pay like 3.50 to 4. I asked around A LOT and that's what everyone told me to do so I stuck with it.

Lacy said...

So I hope it is not too creepy that I am looking at your blog but you crack me up.
Luckily for me, I have tons of family around to babysit so I couldn't tell you a number. By the way- I totally know whose dog that is - I will tell Rob tomorrow.

Mindika said...

$10-$20 an hour!! Man times have changed. I haven't babysat, well for anyone but family, sense the late 80's, very early 90's. Back then you were luck if you got $2-4 an hour. Crazy! When you find out...let me know. I'll be in the same boat soon. Maybe at that point we can swap babysitting. It will be much cheaper.

smeltzer family said...

I nanny right now for 3 kids and I am paid 10 dollars/hour. I don't really think it's enough for what I do for them, but when I have my sitter sit for Noah I pay her 5 dollars/hour and if I expect her to clean as well I will pay her more. It all depends on what you are comfertable with. :) If you ever need a sitter for a date night I would be happy to come and sit for free for you :).

Sondra said...

I would say 5-6 an hour too! Especially if she is younger. But I would also babysit for free for you. I love babies!

Elise said...

20 bucks an hour! Sheesh, woman! Who were you babysitting for in the Harbor?! I got one dollar per hour per kid.

I pay 5-6 an hour too, but in Lehi, we had neighbors that wouldn't pay less than 10-15 an hour for three kids.

Doesn't hurt to ask the sitter.