Tuesday, April 29, 2008

BPA free?

Okay so I have been trying to research this whole BPA issue. For those of you who are unaware there is a huge issue going on with a bisphenol-A leaking from plastics and causing problems. They have linked many problems in animal studies.


"The damage is seen in egg cells of female mice. When these cells try to divide, their chromosomes don't line up right. In humans this results in spontaneous abortion, birth defects, or mental retardation... animal studies have linked BPA to low sperm count, hyperactivity, early puberty, obesity, small testes size, and enlarged prostates"

"Some scientists say there's reason to worry. They note that BPA acts like the sex hormone estrogen -- indeed, BPA was originally developed as a chemical estrogen. These researchers worry that BPA is behind hormone-linked trends in human health such as increased abnormal penis development in males, earlier sexual development in females, increases in neurodevelopmental diseases such as ADHD and autism, increased child obesity, decreased sperm count, and more breast and prostate cancers."


YIKES... I was quite scared to read about this especially since most people are using bottles containing BPA mutiple times a day to feed there kids. Ontop of that those oh so great pacifiers all of us mothers love to "cork" our kids from crying contain BPA as well. Even my favorite MAM pacifiers. Oh and both the bottles I use (ventaire and dr. Brown). I finally found a bottle that doesn't contain BPA that isn't $10.00 to $15.00 per bottle. I will spend whatever it takes to keep my baby safe but if possible I would prefer not to spend that much 9oz bottles such as the green to grow and born free bottles. I found a 3 pack of Sassy mam 9oz bottles which are BPA free for around 12.00. Quite a save! You are probably wondering at this point what other brands containe BPA? I thought I would make it easier for you. Below is a list of pacifiers I found

Here’s a quick reference list of less toxic pacifiers:
Natursutten Natural Rubber Pacifiers
The First Years: Soothies Silicone Pacifiers (including the Soothie Teething Pacifier), Safe Comfort, Ultra Kip, Disney Pacifier and Attacher, as well as the Soothie Pacifier Attachers (the Bee w/ Honey Pot Clip, Flower with Petal Clip and Penguin w/ Igloo Clip).
Vice Versa Binky w/ Case
Playtex: Binky Most Like Mother Latex Pacifier, Binky Most Like Mother Silicone Pacifier, Binky Angled Pacifier, Ortho-Pro Pacifier
Evenflo: Mimi Soft Touch, Mimi Premium, Mimi Neo One-Piece. Evenflo’s line of Vizion, Fuzion and Illuzion pacifiers have been redesigned to be BPA free. Please be careful to choose only the new pacifiers labeled as BPA free to ensure they are the new, safer version (thanks to ZRecs for this great info on Evenflo).
Gerber: NUK Classic, NUK Original, NUK Nautical
Hawaiian Medical: Gumdrop Pacifiers (contain a polycarbonate center, encompassed in silicone; read more below in our update)

What about pacifiers containing toxic chemicals? Here’s a general list of pacifiers to avoid:
Avent
Gerber: Natural Flex, NUK Button pacifier, Gerber Round Soft Center pacifier, Gerber NUK Fashion Silicone
Evenflo: Vizion, Fuzion, Illuzion (only those not labeled as BPA free)
Munchkin
Sassy/MAM
Nuby


1 comments:

{lizzythebotanist} said...

funny that i posted on this topic about two hours before you! check out: www.zrecs.blogspot.com it rocks.