Monday, March 17, 2008

I think I figured it out

Well... I have been doing some reading trying to figure out what to do about Brody's spitting up. Did any of you moms out there know that if you tighten the bottle too tight that it wont let air in or out of the bottle, it slows down the stream of milk coming out and also causes the nipple to collapse. All of these can cause the baby to take in air and thus cause them to spit up. What the heck why don't they put this on the bottle. Okay lets be honest none of of read the instructions but at least they can say they told us. So I have loosened the bottles ring, and I stopped trying to burp Brody while he is eating. All he does is get upset start crying and thus takes in more air causing him to spit up. What I now do is I let him drink sitting up right with his Playtex ventaire bottle, you know the ones with the curved neck so they can sit up and eat thus preventing ear infections. Anyways, I hold the bottle in one place and then when he decides he needs to burp he will turn his had away and the bottle comes out. Sometimes he will burp on his own other times I will burp him. So far so good. He has only spit up once and that was because I wanted to see if I should be feeding him more so I gave him another ounce and he spit that up so that means no. Okay seriously why hasn't someone written a book with all of these little secrets no one tells you about. I searched the Internet forever last night and finally figured this out. I hope no one else has had spit up and chalked it up as normal when really they could have saved hundreds of outfits from those ugly spit up stains and a ton of laundry!!! I swear he would go through like 3 outfits in a day... I am so paranoid about the spit up leaving a stain I immediately throw it in the wash!! I hope that helps

4 comments:

Linds Forrest said...

You are so cute! I love reading your blog because you are so smart! You sound so happy and that is so awesome! Way to go on the bet with Jeremy. That is so awesome for both of you, seriously!! I am doing good! Enjoying life and trying to fit in as much fun as we can! How are you? Do you love being a Mom?!

Jess and Joe said...

Addy used to spit up like crazy. Sometimes three to four times after every feeding. I kept calling the doctor, he kept saying feed her less, nothing worked. I read that it is worse if they take formula. That wasn't it, because I was breast feeding. I searched the internet too. One said to prop them up to a 45 degrees angle at night while sleeping. Tried that...it didn't work. She eventally just grew out of it at about 9-10 months. Crazy. Thanks for the tip on the bottle. I will have to remember that! =]I hope it gets better. I know how you feel.It flat out sucks!

Anonymous said...

Wow! good job! you all are so cute... And yes you do sound real awesome and i always love reading your blog and always love checking your blog! i have to do that at least once a day. It seems to be one of the highlights of my "downtime".

Courtney said...

that is an intresting thought on the bottle i will have to take note of that for the baby in my belly!