Monday, March 2, 2009

I'm Irate

I'm completely irate! I went in for my routine physical on Thursday. We have a family history of thyroid problems so I am trying to be proactive and do yearly physicals so if I do have a thyroid problem I can catch it as soon as possible. Also, by having a physical each year I have a record of my thyroid numbers so that they can see if they are slowly changing. Well I received a call today with my results. She said my blood work looked normal everything was good except my HDL was low (good cholesterol) it's not the greatest thing to have low good cholesterol. She then went on to say that I could improve my HDL by exercising more, and eating more whole grains. I really didn't know what to say to her so we ended the call. I am irate about this since I exercise 5 days a week almost every week, I eat OATMEAL for breakfast and I pretty much only eat whole grains (well at least at home). I freaking crack my own wheat! I MAKE WHEAT COOKIES for goodness sake! Needless to say I'm a little annoyed and want to call back and be like WHAT ELSE CAN I DO?

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Nothing. Let's just all forget working out and eat chocolate cake every day. HAHAHA. I'm sorry. I know you eat great so I don't know where that came from, but I would talk to someone else because it's best to see different docs

Krista said...

Every time I go to the dentist they tell me I need to floss more. I floss every day... how much more can I?

Doug and Brandy said...

Oh wow! That is crappy!!!! U are good about eating good things too!!! And you have lost a ton of weight so you must be doing something right!!! What a bummer!!! What do they know right?

Kati & Jonathan said...

Can we say LAME! That's nice that the nurse decided to encourage information she would give to the average individual without asking you first what your lifestyle is like so maybe she could give you information that applies directly to you...annoying!!

{lindy baker cakes} said...

I was mad reading this! I feel your frustration!

Brian said...

Wow! You've got to love cookie-cutter responses! When I was tested in 2007, my HDL level was 24 (low is 40-60 and 60+ is "good"). I did some research and ended up getting some niacin (vitamin B3) which is shown to raise HDL levels. There are a number of different options, so feel free to let me know if you want more info on what I ended up using. I'm happy to say that my HDL was 41 the end of 2008. I bet it would be even higher if I got more exercise :-) Maybe she was lecturing me vicariously through you?