I have had numerous encounters with people lately asking questions that are really NONE OF THEIR BUSINESS. I wrote a whole vent about it but decided not to post it in fear someone might not think I was as funny as I thought I was and get all hurt about it. I'll be honest though if someone was offended because I was telling them that they shouldn't ask people things that aren't their business well I am offended by them so oh well. Here is a little etiquette lesson for everyone out there. I personally feel that this is common sense but you would be surprised I have been asked a lot of these questions by people I don't even know let alone like. My little disclaimer on these questions is there are some appropriate time to ask these questions and it's usually only ok if it's a very close friend but proceed with caution.
Some questions you should avoid
-How much money do you make? (never ok unless you are good friends and are inquiring because you are looking to work at that company and then proceed with caution)
-When are you going to have kids?
-Why did you get fired (just for the record I've never been fired)?
-Why is your brother/sister/child/etc in rehab/jail/etc?
-Are you a virgin?
-How much was your engagement ring?
-Are those ____ fake?
-Are you sick? (just because I don't have my makeup on doesn't mean I am sick it's called lazy you should try it some time it's great!)
-You are so skinny do you eat? ( I don't think I have even been asked that I might almost think that was a complement :) ha ha)
-Did you gain weight? (never appropriate even with best friends
-Are you pregnant?
-How can you afford that?
-Why did ___ get divorced (if they didn't tell you it's because they didn't want you to know and if it was just recent then maybe you aren't on the top of their list sorry for the reality check)
These are just a few of the things I found on the Internet. I believe there are ways to ask some of these questions with tact and sincerity however if we aren't friends don't bother. I'd love to hear what you think are inappropriate questions. Hey maybe everyone can just mind their own business. Just so you know if you are reading my blog I highly doubt you have asked me something I deemed inappropriate since I most likely consider you a good friend and know you either wouldn't' ask me this or I wouldn't mind if you asked me this because my friends have tact
Wednesday, August 13, 2008
etiquette
Posted by Janelle at 8:07 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

10 comments:
Ooohhh!!! Ooohh!! I want to add a couple.... My questions really bug me when people ask them because they are ASSUMING that there is an answer!!!
-(For guys) Where did you go on your mission? (Only annoyong if the person asks this without even knowing if the guy WENT on a mission. Kipp did, but I've had a lot of friends who didn't and it makes for an awkward and annoyong moment when people ask them.)
-Where did you go to school? (again, assuming that every person in the world had gone to college)
Next time, please preface these questions with... "Did you go on-a-mission/to-school?"
Thanks for letting me give my two-cents, Janelle. For those who don't know me, I'm not as bitter as that comment made me sound=).
AMEN!!
Those are good! One honest mistake I got from someone was they asked me how far along I was, meaning how pregnant was I. Well I was standing there, with my stroller, with my 2 week old baby (Trey) inside. Hmmm.... And you remember my post about being pregnant with Krew with the lady at the store that could not stop gawking at how big I was and kept asking if I was having twins. Nice...
Those questions should not be asked. Not really! if people want to give the answers in form of information then they will. AMEN! totally agree with you.
Janelle- you are to cute and adorable. I will think of some inappropriate questions. But, i to also had a inappropriate/offensive experience a few weeks ago in church. It kind of really hurt me. It was not a question- it was comments. Comments made by the bishop's 5 year old daughter.
Here it is... check it out!
a few weeks ago... We got to church and we were sitting next to the bishop's family. Anyhow we are sitting there and before the meeting starts and stuff his 5 year old looks over at me and says "You smell"! if that is not enough she goes on to say "You have/or why do you have missing teeth". It was real embarrassing and upsetting. Later that night i get a visitor that night because after church and his meetings i guess the bishop and his wife had a chat! with her or whatever. So they come over, she apologizes and the bishop went on asking her questions like "it's not nice to make fun of people or remarks about them etc." the more she got asked a question by her dad! the more embarrassed and humiliated and uncomfortable she got.
Here are a few ...
Did you know you aren't suppose to take your baby out at such a young age? ( Aaron and I took Noah out when he was 2 weeks old. He was fine, and it was summer time. I was tired of being cooped up inside the house.)
Are you suppose to be eating that?(I don't comment on other people and what they eat)
Don't you think you're too old to like that kind of music? ( I like Hannah Montana/Miley Cyrus so SUE ME. I don't know what I like that music but it's my music taste and stop bothering me about it)
That's it for now. But those are what bugs me
Okay, so tonight at the YMCA we were swimming with Bryce and I must have been looking too long in one direction, because this lady with her little girl said, "She's a girl!" I will have to preface this, first of all in my own braindead way I didn't even see the little girl I was just staring off into space. The worst part is she goes onto say, "I don't think at her age she needs to wear a bikini top", as if that must be what I was staring at. Well, I had to laugh because not 5 minutes later she and her "little girl" that could have been a boy, got kicked out of the pool because she wasn't wearing a bikini top and the mom argued with the lifeguard about it.
I have actually been asked by women at church a few of the tactless questions you mentioned above...here is another, Just how much DID your house cost??
I love it when people say: " You look really, really tired."
or
"You know if you wait too long you might not even be able to have children."
The second one really bothers me, for one, what if I'm trying (which I'm not but I know plenty of people who are and it's not their fault their not pregnant yet).
Post a Comment