Saturday, January 17, 2009

What an amazing experience

Today I had one of the most amazing experiences of my life. I was invited to a celebration at the SLC library for the 20th anniversary of the filming of Rain Man. A little background on this event... One of the girls in my Young Women was asked to sing for this celebration. Rain man from my understanding (sorry I was 4 when it came out and it was R so I haven't watched it yet. I am on the hunt now for the edited version) is about this mentally handicapped guy who is a mega savant (mentally challenged but a genius in some area). He has the ability to remember everything and knows so much. For example he could tell you the day if you tell him a date 10 years or ago. He could tell you any answer to a question and is a mathematical genius. Long story short this celebration focused on people who are different but so gifted. There was a guy who was in a horrific accident at 16 and was paralyzed told he would never walk again etc. He pitied himself for a long time until one day at 150lbs heavier he decided to change his life. He from what I understand started the wheel chair body building competitions. There was also a girl who was in a horrific accident and was in a wheel chair who was an amazing singer. It was so amazing to see these people who were "different" that had accomplished so much and had not let those differences stand in their way. They had achieved things the world told them they could never achieve and become such amazing people. There were numerous points during the presentation that I was teary eyed. It was such an amazing example to me and what I needed to realize how grateful I am for what I have as well as how many more things I could be doing in life. I know I personally get stuck in the normal every day things of life that I forget there are so many things I could be doing to help others and make a difference in the world. Sometimes we fall into the belief that the world has that little old me can't make a difference but truly we can. It was such an eye opening experience and such a reminder to get out there and make a difference. My only thing now is to determine what I need to get out there and do. Ugh that is where I hit a road block. So for now I will keep appreciating what I have and look for opportunities to change the world!

2 comments:

Heidi Gail Richhart said...

what a amazing opportunity. I am familiar with this guy and the rainman! if i remember right he was a guest at one of my school assemblies i believe in Jr. High!

Unknown said...

Amazing!!! Seriously. Love this post. Thanks for always doing these awesome posts! See you thurs