I DVR Oprah everyday but I don't always get around to watching every show. I had a little bit of extra time yesterday so I decided to catch up while I cleaned the kitchen. BOY AM I GLAD I WATCH OPRAH! I watched 2 different shows because they were so good and guess what I learned? If you were laid off since Sept 1, 2008 the government will subsidize your COBRA so you only pay 35% of the actual cost. Also, if you have already been paying the full amount, like we were up until Jeremy started his new job in March, they will refund you 65% of your money. If you have ever had cobra it's super expensive you have to pay between 102% and 150% of the full cost of your insurance. We couldn't go without insurance because my heart condition would be pre-existing and not covered if we went without insurance for over 2 months. Thank you government I will be applying for my refund shortly. Also, if you don't know the government has a program for homeowners who are upside down in their house (thanks to our crappy economy) or are struggling to pay their mortgage that will help make their house payment more affordable through refinance or loan modification (lowering the interest rate for a period of time).
For more information about subsidized Cobra click here
To see if you are eligible for Mortgage refinance or Modification click here. A little note: the mortgage refinance program is only available for people whose mortgage is held by Fannie may or Freddy mac and who owe 105% of their actual house value or less.
I hope this helps anyone who has lost their job or is having financial problems. With the economy the way it is there are so many people in need I hope we can all band together and help each other.
A little food for thought... one of the Oprah shows was "what can we live without" I thought it was so awesome! It showed two families who were living without the extras in life. It was really cool to see these people who began walking the few blocks to school instead of driving every day, they stopped watching TV, or using the computer besides for work, they didn't eat out for a week ( I know that sounds a little funny but they ate out almost every day). It was cool to see the money they saved, the family unity it brought and the change in their lives that they realized they don't need all of these "things". I really want to do something like this for a week or a month. I'll have to figure out what we as a family will "live without". I'll let you guys know when I figure it out.
Saturday, April 4, 2009
If you have lost your job or are facing financial problems you need to read this
Posted by Janelle at 8:44 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
I've thought about that before, like do we really need internet and stuff but then I remembered, "How would I keep in touch with you and everyone else!?" This is my only outside communication, it's necessary.
Oh I wanted to watch that episode, dang. sad sad about the BBQ and Burgers, wish i could have been there. and i am so mad i missed the aquarium with ya, looks like it was fun, brody is so cute and same with peyton.
We watched those too. We don't eat out and if we do we take our "entertainment money" from and envelope. So basically we give ourselves a little cash every month and put it in an envelope and if we want ot do something it has to come from there and if the money is gone we don't go out. We only do like 20 bucks because we don't need more. We also walk to the grocery store if it is nice enough and to church. Hello, some people in foreign countries walk like an hour to get to church. Why do we drive and it's right there?!!! Good Post! You are always so good with this stuff
I saw those episodes as well. Both very good and full of good advice and info. I love Suzie Ormand. I couldn't believe the family that ate out for dinner every night. Pretty crazy! I would be so sick of take out.
Post a Comment